Introduction to coffee refinement/practical roasting
In this module, participants will be taught the basics of roasting. It illustrates how a roasting machine works and is operation, as well as what happens to the bean during the roasting process. Concepts such as Maillard effect, penetration, «First and Second Crack» and quenching are explained. Topics such as heat transfer, roasting cycle, roasting profile and degree of roasting will also be covered.
In the theoretical part of the module, we will give you more insight into the roasting process and the treatment of the coffee beans. We will explain the interaction between energy supply, temperature profile and roasting duration, which in turn is responsible for the way the taste and aroma develop.
We will show you which degree of roasting is suitable for which drinks – as well as what characteristics a dark or light roast exhibit. Furthermore, the various roasting processes and roasting systems are part of the content matter of the theoretical portion.
After the theoretical portion, we will give you the opportunity to roast your own coffee or espresso using our shop roaster. We have put out an exciting green coffee blend just for you that offers a delightful flavour experience.
- The participants understand the roasting process, from beginning to end.
- You will be aware of the importance of the roast, as well as the challenges and opportunities thereof.
- You will know which degree of roast is appropriate for which drink.
Course terms and conditions
- No prior knowledge necessary
- Course costs: CHF 200.00 plus VAT
- Course size: The class is limited to size of 4-6 people.
- Course duration: approx. 2.5 hours
- Course location: Coffee Competence Centre/ Schaerer AG in Zuchwil, Switzerland
- Invoicing: Invoicing will be carried out following course confirmation via separate post. The entire course fee will still be charged if you cancel within 7 days of the scheduled course date.
- Insurance/liability: Insurance coverage (liability, accident, etc.) is at the discretion of the course participants themselves. Schaerer AG accepts no liability.